Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

:)

Nuts and Reasons, You absolutely made my day.  Link to The Post that made my day.

In English class, we have been reading The Grapes of Wrath.  It's kind of funny how there is so much religious imagery going on in that book while at the same time there is so much suffering.  The word passion means suffering.  So all the passion of the Christians, yeah, that's suffering.  Not any sort of good quality.  The funny part is that it is so nonsensical.

This train of thought invariably got me thinking of how the current order of society is breeding sheep-mentality into the nation.  There are always outliers that go in the opposite direction, but as a general rule, most of the people are held within the rules.  Whether it be that of a bureaucratic system or that of a communist dictatorship is irrelevant.  The fact of the matter is that we as a generation are being taught to stay within all the lines in school--to search for the answer, not strive for an idea.  I think that this is good for society--at least somewhat.  I really cannot bring myself to hate this in the broad spectrum.  Nor can I bring myself to hate it on the individual spectrum because of those outliers--the loners and the artists.

It is difficult to remark on society.  In fact, ours is so very complex that the line between politics, economics, religion, and social aspects are almost indistinguishable.  It's all just one mass.  Now, again, I do not know if this is good or bad.  And it definitely comes from a narrow scope.  So take it with a grain of salt.

Back to Grapes of Wrath.  I think it is one of the funniest books i have ever read.  Honestly, it is hilarious and depressingly hopeless all at once.  The humor factor is augmented by the fact that I am in a class full of upper-intelligence students who can notice some of the humorous things very easily.

Sorry for not posting so much recently  (haha, as if you all deserve it).  I've been a bit stressed lately.  I have soccer, school, science stuff, society, salliteration, etc to worry about.  So, I haven't been doing that much abstract thinking lately.  But I appreciate my readers.  It seems they have increased in the past week or so.  Huzzah for accomplishments.  And now, I bid you adieu until next time, whoever "you" are.  Have a crimminy jim-jams week.  (I love Spongebob and Courage.)  ;)

2 comments:

  1. It's the fine line between order and chaos, stability and change, that's the cusp on which we live. After the stultifying conformity of feudal society and the craziness of the wars of religion came the Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution treading that fine line. We can become locked in the security of our daily routines and lead a safe and boring life, or we can ignore the rules and follow our whims completely, not knowing what experiences our next day brings, or whether it brings a warm bed and a meal. Our challenge is to find the balance.

    The edge between order and chaos is a great way to see the natural world: a species' genome, climate over geological time, the biochemical balance in cells. All to do with how to respond to change.

    Hahaha Baba O'Riley. Those Who songs from a tape I had will forever bring back bittersweet memories of the night I lost my virginity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuts and Reasons is just about my favourite blog at the moment - apart from this one, of course.

    Perhaps most people in society merely follow the rules for a quiet life and because they don't want to be locked up (or worse).

    Maybe societies have always had their mavericks and campaigners - in the US for example - for blacks, women and now GLBT community. Without people to question and buck the system sometimes we'd never make any progress.

    There were fights and all sorts when it was proposed that the earth might not be flat. There have been wars and all sorts over new religious (and non-religious) ideas because they upset the status quo,

    I agree with you that it probably doesn't matter what sort of society it is there will always be those who want to buck the system and those who want political or financial or social change.

    Some might say that it is a manifestation of what makes us human.

    ReplyDelete