Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Perspective

You are in a room with 99 other people.  50 men, 50 women.  If you play your cards right, you have a shot at a (romantic) relationship with ~48 of these.  You are straight.

If you play your cards right, you have a shot at a romantic relationship with ~1 of these.  You are gay.

If you play your cards right, you have a shot at a romantic relationship with 0 of these.  You are asexual.

When straight people complain about having trouble finding relationships, I'm just like, "You're shitting me, right?"  How do you think trans people feel?  How do you think gay people feel?  Of the 250 people around my age I know decently well, probably 12 are gay or bi.  Do you know how lonely and discouraging that is?  95% of the people that I might someday be attracted to are PHYSICALLY UNABLE to return that attraction.

Now fast forward in that perspective.  How do you determine if you are interested in someone?  Typically, you start with looks and move in on the personality or stumble upon the personality, correct?  After gender, that is.  How do gay people determine if they are interested in someone?  Largely the same way.  However, they have to go through a lot more people to find someone who might like them back, and even then, the chances aren't the best.

Of a room of 100 people of the opposite sex, how many would you probably initially dismiss based on looks and personality?  Let's say you only dismiss 20.  So we're left with 80 people. Take the number you have left and divide it by about 40.  So for our example where we dismissed 20, we are left with 2.   Now divide by 2.  That's the percentage of the population that a gay person might be interested in based on typical straight methods of relationship hunting. 1%

Alright I'm tired.  I don't know quite what I was trying to do with this post, but basically, the world can look discouraging for LGBT people (Well, maybe not the B people).  But you see my point, yes?

Good day.

5 comments:

  1. 42. That is the answer.

    And I do see your point, and I hope it's not that dismal an outlook.

    It isn't for me, at least.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people do it by having a large social network, "Hey you should meet Megan's friend Larry, you two have a lot in common...".

    The rest of us introverts have to put ourselves in a room where the odds are a little better. So since you are politically and socially aware, so join / volunteer for a LGBT-related group or charity. Or I can't believe that there isn't a community of gay Naruto fans in some dark corner of the internet. Put yourself out there, a bit like Jay does in the blogger community. Then there's always the online hookup/dating scene. Yeah, I know, it helps if you don't mind casual sex, and there's a lot of crap to wade through, but...

    I know that you know all this stuff, but sometimes we need to hear it said. Everything has drawbacks, I know, but as my dour Scottish Presbyterian great aunt would say, "Life wasn't meant to be easy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Thank you for that.

    Sorry for burdening you guys with this kind of thing. If nothing else, I hope you all can feel better about your own social skills and initiative by viewing my lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never a burden to listen, Maddy. That's why we stop by and read your blog. Being a part of this community means "being there" for the rants and the raves, the good, the bad, and the fugly. And believe me, I take no solace in others' shortcomings, I have way too many of my own.
    Peace <3
    Tray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now you know what others call me in real life...nothing like an 8:31AM still not awake comment! HAHAHAHA
      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete