Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mitchell Heisman

Article about it

IT

So, I think that I should read this.  But, I do not like reading big huge books that I can only access as .pdfs.  What i've read so far is kind of... AWEsome.  But i don't want to read 1905 pages...
Uncertain of uncertainty, skeptical of skepticism, it seems
that the most important question is whether there is an
important question. The only serious question is whether
there is anything to take seriously. What has previously been
considered of value or importance appears as only an
expression of myth, bias…error.
 And then of course.

We open the successive doors in Bluebeard’s castle because
“they are there,” because each leads to the next by a logic of
intensification which is that of the mind’s own awareness of
being. To leave one door closed would be not only
cowardice but a betrayal—radical, self-mutilating—of the
inquisitive, probing, forward-tensed stance of our species.
We are hunters after reality, wherever it may lead. The risk,
the disasters incurred are flagrant. But so is, or has been
until very recently, the axiomatic assumption and a priori of
our civilization, which holds that man and truth are
companions, that their roads lie forward and are
dialectically cognate….We cannot turn back. We cannot
choose the dreams of unknowing. We shall, I expect, open
the last door in the castle even if it leads, perhaps because it
leads, onto realities which are beyond the reach of human
comprehension and control. We shall do so with that
desolate clairvoyance, so marvelously rendered in Bartók’s
music, because opening doors is the tragic merit of our
identity.

This stuff is pretty interesting.  See, this is how i want to spend my hours.  Reading, proliferating knowledge or examination, speculating.  Not just constantly following the rules of a society.  It is a selfish desire, but do you think we could perhaps stop the equivocating--at least for certain people?  I don't want any change.  I truly don't.  But i have to question.  And analyze.  And sift.  So that I can be power.  So that I can distinguish.  So that I can.

I want new.  I don't want, "Oh, you have to check yourself based on this event/phenomenon/rule."  I want creativity.  I want imagination.  I want the right-brain, uncentrifuged by the left-brain; then I want the left-brain.  Stop taking from the ism and start feeding your own ism.  But make sure it isn't an ism.  Make sure that you don't tie it down.  Make sure that it can live on its own--with the back-up of the national internationality of self.  Let it draw from every idea, ever.  Let it so remain.  Then let it be destroyed.  Let water into it, and have it degrade.  Let the sun melt it, turn it white, and nourish.  Let the flies have it.  Then make a new one.  Then decide that you want the old one back.  Clean it up a bit.  Then decide on the other, of whichever other you have.  Then merge the two.  And repeat.  Invent.

4 comments:

  1. That last paragraph is directed directly toward YOU. Do not tell me that nihilism doesn't work. Do not tell me that life is meaningless. Do not. Do not. Do not tether. For we are dealing with words. And they should not be tethered. They are limitless. Because they come from thought. You better believe the transitive property works here. The only bridge is perhaps time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suicide can raise all sorts of feelings in people. Here are two contrasting reactions to news of Mitchell's death:

    Nate PERMALINK
    September 25, 2010, 10:58 PM
    being only 17, this whole world of philosophy is still dawning on me; but I am determined to learn as much as I can. When I heard about this I was very intrigued. I’m reading it now and this man cleary was a great thinker. I’m amazed his intelligence and eloquence went unnoticed until his death. I see the validity in many of his arguements, even though I may not agree with them all. I hope by reading his memoir I can incorporate many of these new ideas(at least new to me) into my own beliefs. Thank you Mitch

    And, then again:
    Danny PERMALINK
    September 26, 2010, 7:15 AM
    This is very sad. But yes, his suicide was the logical conclusion to the nihilistic worldview that he proposed and lived by. This is the gospel of Atheism. He is “living” proof that ideas have consequences. Too bad that he did not even in one sentence ponder the consequences his suicide would have on his friends and family, the hurt and pain he inflicted on them. He hid behind his words.

    Those comments were found here:
    http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/2010/09/22/did-you-know-mitchell-heisman/
    where there are other reactions.

    ReplyDelete