Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

In the MIDDLE of Graduation

I'm curious.  Does anyone besides Billy and Steve actually read this more than once?  If so, please comment; I promise I won't think you're a creeper.

On to the actual note of the day:  I am a high school graduate.  I have my diploma and everything.  I no longer have to step foot into those school halls ever again.  I'm free.

It's rather boring, actually.  I liked some of the people there.  About 50-100 of them, actually (out of about 1800-2500; I don't know the actual number of students and faculty).  A week ago I said that I would do high school over if I had the opportunity.  Now, a week later, I have changed my mind.  I'm just glad I don't have to do it again.  I feel a little bit guilty about this next statement, but I'll make it anyway.  I don't think that school--including the people in it--had THAT much to offer me.  And since I'm a major introvert, I did not offer the majority of the things I had to offer them.

Btw, Imma tell you my demographics.  My family (5 people) doesn't make THAT much money (80-85K per year); we're considered "lower-middle class".  We are considered WASPs unfortunately.  We have a very moderate number of family friends (neighborhood people and church people), and our family is not that huge either (3 families on my dad's side (9 total counting children and funny uncles and family-by-marriages), and 2 families on my mom's side (10 total counting children and my last grandfather)).  My family ranks about like this in order of intelligence: Me, Mom, brothers (not sure which is smarter, prolly older), Dad.  We live in a neighborhood of about 30 houses where we have to drive 15 or 30 minutes to get to most of the places we normally go.  Knoxville is one of the best places in Tennessee as far as I know.  We aren't that hickish and apparently we are one of the most LGBTQ friendly places around, but I'm not so sure about that.  My high school was a public school with less diversity than a number of other places--though we still had some diversity.  My life has been very... Middle.  I'm rather well-rounded.  I never received any grade below a 97% in my high school classes--and I took THE hardest classes (though "hard" in a public Tennessee high school is not THAT outstanding).  I got the Senior English award because the Senior English teacher loves me and they had to spread out the senior awards to many people, but my true strength lies in Math (and science though to a more moderate extent) run-on sentence ftw.  I'm pretty excellent at sports--specifically soccer and previously gymnastics (I've never really tried baseball because it seems super boring but if I practiced a little, I could be good too).  I'm just well-coordinated.  I can be social when I need to be--I'm just really quiet because I have little to say.  So in terms of mental strength, I excel.  In terms of physical ability, I excel.  And in terms of friends, I do alright.  I have yet to have a relationship (and I could blame that on any number of things, but I think that I just generally dislike most of the people I know who actually fit my gender and sexuality preferences).  My grandparents were the first ones in our family (I think) to have gotten high school diplomas.  My parents and their siblings were the first in their families to get their college degrees (mostly bachelor's degrees, though I think my Mom has a master's and my crazy Uncle got a medical degree before totally shutting down and living on money from somewhere--I'm pretty sure it was his from a long time ago). And I will be the first person in our family to be an engineer.  MAJOR LONG PARAGRAPH NO BREAKS 4 U.

And again, graduated. YUS. <--mix between Japanese "yosh" and English "yes"

5 comments:

  1. You seem to be pretty high on yourself but it sounds like it is justified. It sounds to me like you have had a very good life, much better than most I think. The future sounds good for you. Did those high grades secure you a full scholarship to a college like they should have? If not, can your parents afford to send you there? You've still got a ways to go to becoming an engineer, don't get too overconfident. There is still some hard work ahead.

    Knoxville is a nice area of the country to be in. Neat places around to visit, like Oak Ridge, and the Smokies are just a short distance to the southeast. Where will you be going to college?

    There are some of us reading what you write that you don't know about. We will continue to be interested in what you have to say, so keep it up. Creepers we may be but at least we are an audience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha am I think Steve you mentioned? I didn't realize that I was such a regular commentor-- hope you don't think I'm a "creeper". I guess 28 is quite old to you -- but I don't feel grown up yet...despite rocking in my career and academically ;)

    I relate to the line: "I think that I just generally dislike most of the people I know who actually fit my gender and sexuality preferences". You may already know that I'm also fairly introverted...although not really - I mean I have no problem carrying on conversations with strangers, etc. I am quite geeky and in general do not relate well to others. I dont like sports or video games, despite being athletic (I like individual sports like biking). In any case, there are lots of "us" out there and while its a little harder to find them, they are there. You know this already -- I'm just trying to encourage.

    I'd love to chat sometime on skype if you like. my screen name is the same: planetx_123

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do read your posts more than once except I can never think of anything to say. Even if I wanted to it wouldn't be that great because I'm too young to offer an insight on something, I'm like a piece lint, I'm not really bringing you down, but... I'm not really helping you out either. So yeah.... good job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Maddy!
    First time here. Found you through SergioC's comments. Good to see another young guy out here blogging.

    Me, I am an Official Olde Farte, but I promise I am NOT pervy or anything (SergioC publishes my comments ;-)).

    We definitely follow some of the same blogs, so if you'll have me as a Follower, I'll be happy to stick around! My blog, if you want to check out an olde farte's blog, is jayinva.blogspot.com.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SergioC! You are NOT a piece of lint! You are NOT too young to offer insight!!!! Say what you feel and know! It all counts. It's all unique, so it's all a contribution!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete