Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

These worthless days

I have been doing nothing lately.  Like, really, I don't do anything: it's summer.  And because of this nothingness, I decided it would be interesting to update you people on this fact.  Ummm, yeah, so nothing.

The entire rest of this post is about being in the closet--which I have spoken on previously.

My gay friend--the one that I'm real friends with--she has apparently been ousted.  Most of her friends know. Her Mom--whom she told--knows.  The only people that don't know are her sister, her "work friends", and her father who is always out of town and whom she jokingly said she would never tell.

With her new-found out-ness, she and one of my other friends offered to bring me out as well.  And like the little pussy I am, I skirted the issue and allowed them to figure it out for themselves.  They decided it would not be a good idea because my family could catch wind of it, and then hate me forever.  ...  That is what I have to say to this.  DOT DOT DOT.  Whatever I am to make of this, I can't think of a good response because I tried to swear off angst.  But I'll give my interpretation:  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be out.  But at the same time, I can't help but feel that it is not what I need at this point.

As I have explained previously, my family is anti-gay, and if nothing else, there would be some SERIOUS drama.  So, the way I see my options: 1) keep as quiet as possible and thus play the presumably safest route (assuming that this closeted state does not produce excess despair) or 2) allow my friends and acquaintances to out me (because doing it myself is much too much effort unless I want to do it via facebook) and deal with the consequences.

Now, the worst outcome of option 1 is that I might feel miserable at times and may miss opportunities (which is something that I would have to deal with on my own and not whine about).  The worst outcome of option 2 is that my parents get word and kick me out; this could jeopardize my opportunities for college because I have no money on my own and do not wish to go into debt for student loans or other loans.  From a non-internal viewpoint, option 1 is far superior (strategically speaking).  From a movement viewpoint and an honor viewpoint, option 2 is far superior.

So, the dilemma: do I want to gain an education on my parents money and then drop the ball on them?  Or do I want to go into debt in order to get a college education so that I can feel proud of myself for not disappointing the gay community?

Yes, there are lots of paragraphs up there, and yes, they make me seem like a little pussy cat.  But at this point, I really don't know.  I mean, I feel this biological "love" tie to my family.  They genuinely care about "me", but since they do not know the real me, I cannot know the extent of that care.  Does their son/brother outweigh their religious and southern convictions that gays are immoral scourges on the otherwise upright American-ness of their country and family?  I should hope so.  But I seriously doubt it.  

Also, in addition to the ball that I'm going to have to drop on them about being gay, I am also going to have to drop the atheist and Democrat ball on my otherwise Methodist and Republican family.  At this point, I think I'm just going to clean my conscious--ALL AT THE SAME TIME. And say fuck the consequences when it comes to that (which will not be until I am at least a little bit of a ways into college).

I know that many of you think I am overthinking this.  And I am.  But I am not wrong.  As far as I know.  Trust me, I'm a better judge of my family than you are.  Really, I would love to post to facebook that I am a flaming homosexual and therefore not have to deal with telling all those people.  BUT. But. but. ... And thus: these worthless days.

4 comments:

  1. The first thing is, you owe the "gay community" nothing. Coming out is an intensely personal journey, and doing it to pay some "debt" would not be in anyone's best interest.

    Secondly, your family. I will not try to second guess you there. But I also know that at least one other teen, with a virulently anti-gay minister for a father, was outed, and while it wasn't easy on him, he survived, lives at home still, and is on track for the rest of his life.

    Thirdly, one thing is for sure: If some people know, it is only a matter of time before everyone finds out. Hopefully it won't be as Jeremy's outing was, with some witch of a girl opening his blog on all the school library computers, but for sure, once a secret is known by more than one person, it's not a secret any more.

    I don't offer lots of advice, but I would say here that perhaps you should at least plan on being outed one way or another. Find a place to stay if bad comes to worst (though I think in real life that doesn't happen too often - again, however, I won't second guess your own judgement of your family). College can be dealt with. At 18, you must be close, so it is a factor in your decisions, but it can work itself out.

    You know we're all here for you, whether you decide to out yourself, or wait for the inevitable outing by others - a whisper here or there that gets overheard by someone's parents who just have to pass it on to your mom and/or dad. Remember, there are always two comings out: you, and your parents who are now (at least in the short term) the parents of "that gay kid".

    I know this doesn't sound cheerful at all, and I am not trying to discourage you from coming out, if that is what you need and want in your life at this point. Just don't do it to please others, do it because you need to yourself.

    Contact me if you want to talk...
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be getting yourself 'out' until your education is complete and you are independent and supporting yourself. This is a case where nothing really positive would be gained by declaring your status. Your family would prefer to remain unaware of this rather than suffer the trauma that would result from the telling. It will be different and easier for them to accept when you are older and out from under their umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel guilty about accepting your parents' support. Ultimately it will be their choice whether to accept you, not yours. If they allow their narrow-minded bigotry to over-rule the compassion, understanding and forgiveness that Jesus taught, so be it. Don't let that prejudice mess with your chance to lead a good life.

    You'll have a bit more freedom to build a slightly-less closeted life at College? Even if you are still living at home. Just work hard to get involved in things that get you mixing with new people, hopefully just a few of them will be godless liberal homosexuals too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, jay, billy, and anonymous for your advice. and to jay, i know already that its partially out, and not at my discretion. but I'm trying to stay moderately low key because thats how i roll.

    anonymous, do i know you from somewhere? ;P

    ReplyDelete