Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Celebrate!

"Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead!"  What about the witch of the south?  Did the others just disregard her because she's from the south?  Seriously, there is a wicked witch of the East, wicked witch of the West, good witch of the North, but no (probably good or neutral) witch of the South...  Anyway, that movie was on this weekend.  It's pretty much my favorite old movie--right in front of Twelve Angry MenTo Kill a Mockingbird is also pretty good.  The Wizard of Oz is just boss. I was trying to find all the little historic parallels and stuff, but it was kind of difficult.  It's awesome how they made the movie.  And the story is fabulous.

Dorothy: Now which way do we go?
Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.
Dorothy: Who said that?
[Toto barks at scarecrow]
Dorothy: Don't be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don't talk.
Scarecrow: [points other way] It's pleasant down that way, too.
Dorothy: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?
Scarecrow: [points both ways] Of course, some people do go both ways.

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Wicked Witch of the West: And now, my beauties, something with poison in it, I think. With poison in it, but attractive to the eye, and soothing to the smell.
[cackles]
Wicked Witch of the West: Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleeeeep. Now they'll sleeeeep!

Cowardly Lion: I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do, I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I *do*!
Wicked Witch of the West: Ah! You'll believe in more than that before I'm finished with you.

Auntie Em Gale: Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For twenty-three years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!

Anyway, I've been away from my computer for the past four days.  It wasn't so bad, but I had thought that I had downloaded "Bohemian Rhapsody" before leaving the computer behind.  It was even in my itunes library, but apparently it didn't sync to my ipod.

So, did you have a good Thanksgiving (if you live in the US)?

3 comments:

  1. Boom town Rats - pure class.

    Allegories are amazing, especially when you discover something as classic as the Wizard!

    If you're feeling you'd like more you could try The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe of the 'Narnia' series. Those are chock a bloc full of alternative meanings too!

    Harry Potter can be read as a battle between the new religion and the old. Look to when 'The Church' superseded so-called Pagan beliefs and the classic tussles between 'good' and 'evil',

    It's good sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of the first one. But I've read all the Narnia books except the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (but I've seen the movie--in both the old and new version [the old version is hilarious btw.].). The first, second, and last are probably the most allegory-like. The first because it is the CREATION(ism) of Narnia. The second because of the stone table (the cross and tomb), the high king Peter, the forest creatures that helped the children (Aslan's [God]'s people), the traitor (Edmund/Judas) who was tempted with sweets/silver. The last because everything is (redeemed/reborn/made new) after years and years and battles and battles of fighting and treachery.

    Harry Potter is definitely good vs. evil but I don't think Rowling planned to mimic the advent of 'The Church'. The little bit of Jonathon Swift that I've read was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or sorry, maybe not allegory. More of parallelism/allusion.

    ReplyDelete