Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Going to be 19 in a few days

Gosh, I feel so old.  LOL, what am I talking about?  I'll never be old.  ;P

I've had a few college shocks.  I failed my first test (57%, woohoo!), aced my first test in a different class (99%, yay!), and probably failed my first test in a third class (still don't know).  I have another test from the first class on Friday and I am studying my ass off to make up for that first failure.  Organic chemistry is tough stuff, man.

I'm definitely going to plan my next semester and the rest of my college classes so that a greater percentage of the grade is given to homework--if possible--and so that there is just a generally wider spread of the grade.

I could fail a test in high school, do well the rest of the year, and still make an A.  In college if you fail a test, you're destined for a B or more probably lower.  I may have a 3.0 GPA this year, but hopefully that won't be too bad.  Luckily there is a good policy here for retaking a class if you do TOO poorly.

I was sick for a week or two (the week of that first test), and let me tell you, IT SUCKS TO BE SICK IN COLLEGE!  Like, it's absolutely awful.  No one cares about you.  You cannot reschedule tests very well.  And skipping class is not conducive to a good grade.  You basically have to stick it out with little help.  I fell victim to a virus; fuck me, right?

(I'm not looking for sympathy; just giving an update)

I went to a concert on Friday with some high school friends who came over here for the weekend.  It was spectacular; like honestly, the best concert I've been to.  By the way, there should be more concerts.  Have ALL the concerts ALL the time. 

Anyway, just thought I'd give a boring little old update to tell you all that I'm doing fine and adjusting.  I'm probably not following nearly enough of you: leave a link to your blog in the comments and I'll come check you out.  HAVE A GREAT DAY, MINE FRIENDS!

2 comments:

  1. nashville has great shows all the time! i went to the shins concert at the rhyman tonight actually! I like marathon music works, exit in, and the cannary ballroom -- all great venues!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday a few days early, Maddy!

    I remember college. It was a big transition, and you're right, when you're sick, it's on you, when you get behind in a class, it's on you. I do not envy you in o-chem. That's a tough course. Many colleges use it as a weeded course because it's required for so many majors. Fail it, consider another field! Or suffer through it again and probably get an A, go to med school, and win a Nobel prize for finding the cure of some huge disease!

    Love concerts. Steve is right, you're in a great area for music! Richmond's got a pretty good music scene, too...I try to get out at least occasionally. The Folk Festival is next weekend, can't wait for that!

    Have a good week, keep up posted, and have a great BIRTHDAY!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete