Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

College Update


I was wait-listed at Vandy and Duke and denied at Stanford (my 3 dream schools).  I guess that's what I get for being third in my class rather than first.  But oh well.  UT is easy; I'll go there.  Now I just have to decide if I want to take on the Honors College.  I've already been accepted to it; I just have to decide if I want to do it.

Pros: $1000 added to a scholarship + the prestige of graduating from the honors college

Cons: Loads of extra work (which I definitely do not want)

Other: Honors housing

I will stay with a lot of my friends; so it won't be too bad.  I just had this delusion that I could leave this place. But whatever. I'll leave eventually.  Anyway thought I would update you all.

1 comment:

  1. sorry you were turned down. I wish I could've gone to stanford. My grades in HS were good but not that good. I was in the top 7% of my class.. but not the top 1%

    UT as in knoxville? I'm not a huge fan of UT -- but you know its not a bad school as you know obviously. I had a lot of friends that went there. My oldest and best friend graduated #1 in engineering in his class and now is making good money at exxon.

    What do you plan to do after undergrad? Not that you asked for any advice, but I have a perhaps unique experience being that Im a senior engineer for a private sector company as well as a phd student at u of memphis-- large companies with large HR and recruiting departments might give some preference, but otherwise no one cares on a resume. If you know what you are talking about-- that will come through in the interview and will be more important to getting the job and exceeding their expectations after youre hired. The honors college will literally mean nothing after that point. If you plan to go into academia then it probably makes sense. Now all that being said-- if you want to go after high stakes, highly competitive positions for good pay (i.e. the ones I go for >:]) then take the honors course load. Regardless of its paper worth, the experience will probably be good. If you want jobs like that then you have to embrace the fact that you will be working 80-100 hours a week throughout your twenties. Those jobs, while awesome, are rare, and there are lots of people competing for them that are putting in that amount of time and energy.

    Sorry for the rant -- I'm a bit of a work-a-holic career gay so I dont ever shutup when talking about this stuff :p

    Good luck!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete